The Acadia Residence Life Use of Cannabis Rules and Procedures have been established to ensure that the health, comfort, and safety of all members of the Acadia residence community, and their guests is our priority.
Anyone under the age of nineteen (19) may not use cannabis at any time. This is in compliance with the province of Nova Scotia’s Cannabis Control Act. All members of the Acadia Community, nineteen (19) years of age or older who choose to consume cannabis are expected to:
- consume in a responsible manner and moderate their own behaviour
- respect the rights of others who choose not to consume cannabis and ensure they are not subject to possible harms from the actions of any individuals who are consuming
- act immediately to help someone intoxicated or in the act of becoming over intoxicated (see Acadia University Substance Use Amnesty / Good Samaritan Protocol
- It is important to understand that intoxication in no way releases any individual from full and complete responsibility for their behaviour and its consequences.
The terms of the Acadia University Substance Use Policy identifies the responsibility of the Department of Residence Life in managing cannabis use in all residence buildings. The Department of Residence Life will be responsible for enforcing rules, procedures, and guidelines associated with cannabis consumption.
Violations of rules, procedures, and guidelines associated with cannabis consumption will be addressed through the Non-Academic Judicial Process.
- Underage Consumption is defined as the consumption of cannabis by an individual who is less than the legal age for cannabis consumption in the province of Nova Scotia (19 years of age).
- Underage Possession is defined as the possession of cannabis by an individual who is less than the legal age for cannabis possession in the province of Nova Scotia (19 years of age).
- Stockpiling of Cannabis is defined as the possession of more than 30 grams of cannabis for individual consumption or distribution.
- Drug Paraphernalia are defined as any item used to facilitate the consumption of cannabis.
- Edibles are defined as any food item containing cannabis that is intended to be consumed.
- Dealing is defined as illegally providing others with cannabis in exchange for financial profit.
General Rules and Regulations
Individuals who are nineteen (19) years of age may possess cannabis in residence rooms or on their person under the following conditions:
- Cannabis must be stored in a sealed, airtight container so that a discernable odor is not noticeable outside of a student’s room.
- Consumption of cannabis via smoking is not permitted anywhere in residence.
- Underage consumption on campus is not permitted.
- The production, sale, or purchase of edibles and oils is not permitted in residence. This includes any cooking, baking, or boiling as discernable odours are created.
- Cannabis plants may not be grown or stored in residence.
- Drug Paraphernalia must be kept out of general sight and in a location in which potential smell is not discernable.