International Students


It's important to have the proper documentation to enter Canada and to continue your studies. You can learn more below about the documents you'll need before you travel, while you study, and after you graduate. Our staff at the Wong International Centre can also help answer many common questions.

Select Your Language


Study Permits

Most students will need a study permit to attend university in Canada. You should apply for your study permit before you travel to Canada.

Your study permit is not a visa, and does not allow you to enter Canada. Learn more about study permits.


Travel Visa

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is an official counterfoil document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show that they have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Most students will need a visa, Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or passport to travel to Canada.

Renewing Your Temporary Resident Visa

If you are planning to travel outside of Canada while you are a student here, a Re-Entry Visa (TRV) is required in order for you to return. If you also need to renew your Study Permit, please do so before you renew your TRV, as it will only be valid until the expiry date of the Study Permit.

Learn more 

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

An eTA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

If you are a U.S. Citizen or you have a Temporary Resident Visa in your passport you do not need an eTA.

Learn more 

United States Visitor Visa

While studying in Canada, you may be interested in visiting the United States. You will need a travel waiver authorization or visitor visa (DS-160) if you are visiting the United States unless you are Canadian.

Learn more 


After Graduation

  • Post Graduate Work Permit

    Post Graduate Work Permits enable students who have graduated from designated learning institutions to gain valuable work experience in Canada. Skilled work experience can help you qualify for permanent residency.

    Learn more 

  • Permanent Residency

    A permanent resident is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but is not a Canadian citizen. A person in Canada temporarily, like a student or foreign worker, is not a permanent resident.

    Becoming a permanent resident entitles you to live, work, and study anywhere in Canada, and access many social benefits.

    Learn more