International Students

Income Tax in Canada

Income taxes are a portion of your income that is paid to the government or deducted from your pay to help pay for government services such as education and policing. It is recommended that all students (both domestic and international) file a tax return. By filing a tax return, you may be entitled to money back if you work while you are in Canada. Tuition is also tax deductible and your tuition credits can be used if you work in Canada after you graduate from university.

International Students and Income Tax – Canada Revenue Agency Video Series

Canada Revenue Agency has produced a series of short information videos for international students to guide you through Canada's income tax system. Here you will find all you need to know about the Canadian tax system, determining your residency status for tax purposes, filing your taxes, scholarships and much more.

  Click here to watch Canada Revenue Agency's Income Tax Video Series

Select Your Language

Important Links

 Canada Revenue Agency


International Students
Wong International Centre
27 Acadia Street
Wolfville, Nova Scotia, B4P 2R6