The Equity Officer is available to students, staff, and faculty. The fundamental objective of the Equity Office is to prevent discrimination, sexual harassment, and personal harassment from occurring.
The Equity Officer's Roles and Responsibilities are:
- Take reasonable steps to protect the health, safety, and security of any member of the University community in relation to the Harassment & Discrimination Policy.
- Receive, investigate, and resolve complaints by informal resolution, mediation, or formal complaint.
- Provide and promote programs that raise campus awareness of the nature of, and problems associated with, discrimination, sexual harassment, and personal harassment and educate those in positions of responsibility in the objectives and implementation of the policy.
Acadia University's Policy Against Harassment & Discrimination
- The purpose of the policy is to provide and maintain a learning and work environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, and personal harassment. These behaviours are demeaning and degrading.
- All members of the University community have the right to learn and work in an environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, and personal harassment.
- The University and all members of the University community share responsibility for ensuring that the work and learning environment of Acadia is free from discrimination, sexual harassment, and personal harassment.
"The better we understand how identities and power work together from one context to another, the less likely our movements for change are to fracture." — Kimberle Williams Crenshaw
Equity Officer & Consultant
Bancroft House, Room 103
Wolfville, NS, B4P 2R6