Health & Wellness

Alcohol, Cannabis, and Drugs

Your time at Acadia will be filled with great experiences!

...just remember that the use of alcohol and drugs don’t have to be a part of these experiences. Some students choose to drink or smoke, and many choose not to. Whatever you choose, remember to keep it social.

Acadia University recognizes that access to substances for consumption (alcohol, cannabis, and other legal or illegal drugs) is a part of everyday life, but we view this from a perspective of wellness and harms reduction. We use all opportunities to share information about how attitudes, behaviours, indicators, and protective strategies can help students navigate a culture of substance use in a positive way.

The most important things you need to know are:

  • You must be age 19 or older to consume alcohol, cannabis, or tobacco.
  • Acadia is a smoke-free campus. You cannot use e-cigarettes, cannabis, and waterpipes.
  • Open alcohol is not permitted on campus grounds or in the Town of Wolfville. When you transport alcohol, it must remain unopened.
  • When you are on campus, you should be prepared to provide identification at any time.
  • You can have a good time without alcohol or drugs.
Nova Scotia Liquor and Cannabis Laws
  • Liquor and cannabis are for adults age 19+ only
  • It is illegal to use a fake ID or to drink in a public open space
  • Drinking and driving is illegal, and the laws have recently been toughened
  • Provincial cannabis regulations include limitations on where you can smoke, how much you can carry, and how much you can grow.
Acadia University Substance Use Policy

We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the university's official policy. We expect you to:

  • consume in a responsible manner and moderate your own behaviour
  • respect the rights of others who choose not to consume alcohol, tobacco, or cannabis and ensure they are not subject to possible harms from the actions of any individuals who are consuming
  • act immediately to help someone intoxicated or in the act of becoming over intoxicated
  • consume in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations

In short: follow the law, follow campus regulations, take care of each other, and avoid drinking to excess.

Should I get support?

If your use of alcohol or drugs is becoming a habit or negatively impacting your life, please consider reaching out to a campus counselor for support. Consider if your use of alcohol or drugs is:

  • harming your relationships with your family, friends, or partner
  • impacting your schoolwork, causing you to miss classes, fall behind on assignments, forget to do things, etc.
  • causing financial problems because most of your money goes to substances
  • making you sick or causing physical harm
  • leading to constant physical health problems
  • leading you to put your safety at risk by making reckless decisions

Keep it Social

Keep it Social is a student-led initiative that informs students on habits and practices that is appropriate when using substances. This initiative promotes making responsible decisions about alcohol use ad reducing harms surrounding high-risk drinking.

Postsecondary Education Partnership - Alcohol Harms (PEP-AH)

Acadia University is a partner with the Postsecondary Education Partnership — Alcohol Harms. PEP-AH is a group of universities and colleges from across Canada, partnered with the Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction (CCSA) and Universities Canada. This partnership is focused on supporting nationwide campus efforts to reduce the harms related to alcohol consumption. 

 Substance Use Policy (PDF)

 Share the Air Policy (PDF)


Dial 911

Safety & Security
Open 24 hours a day
Tel: 902.585.1103 or "88" from a campus 585 phone

519 Student Union Building
30 Highland Ave.
Wolfville, NS, B4P 2R6

Naloxone kits are available at Safety & Security or in every Residence; ask an RA for assistance.


If substance use is impacting your life, please consider speaking with our Counselling team.

You can also book an appointment with a doctor at the campus Health Centre.