Virtual English for Academic Purposes Program
The Virtual-EAP Program is designed for people who
- Have conditional acceptance into a degree program at Acadia University
- Or just want to improve their academic reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
- And wish to begin their studies from their home country.
By studying in the Acadia University Virtual-EAP (V-EAP) program, you can begin your studies from home. You do not need a study permit, you can save on the costs of travel and accommodations, and can complete the classes from the comfort of your own home! Another bonus is you get to interact with your classmates and teachers several hours every week as you learn English in an engaging and interactive environment. Be prepared to work hard, have fun and be challenged!
About the Program
Each V-EAP term is 10 weeks long, with 25 hours of study per week. This includes the following:
- Intensive instruction in academic Listening and Speaking including presentation, discussion, lecture and note-taking skills.
- Intensive instruction in academic Reading and Writing including essay and report writing, reading strategies, critical thinking, and research skills.
- Concentrated study in specific areas including grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and research skills.
How it Works
The V-EAP Program is delivered 100% online.
Twelve (12) hours per week will be delivered in Virtual Live Classes with an instructor. All students are encouraged to attend the Virtual Live Classes. Classes will also be recorded and made available to enrolled students.
- April to October: Monday to Thursday 12:00 to 15:00 UTC
- November to March: Monday to Thursday 13:00 to 16:00 UTC
- This may be adjusted to meet the needs of most students. Please inquire.
The remainder of the hours (13 or more hours) each week will consist of independent work as assigned by your instructors. This will include homework assignments, lectures, readings, research, and assessments.
- Independent work can be completed each day at a time that is convenient for each student.
- Homework is often assigned during classes and must be completed before the next class. Be sure that your schedule allows for you to complete an extra 2-3 hours of work each day.
- A laptop or desktop computer (It is not possible to complete this course on a mobile phone)
- A stable internet connection (high speed wired or wireless)
- Speakers and a microphone (headset/headphones recommended)
- A webcam
- The latest version of Chrome (30+), Safari (7+) or Firefox (27+)
|Foundations 1 or 2||Foundations 3 or 4||EAP 500||EAP 1000||EAP 2000||Bridging|
|Acadia Placement Test||0-24||25-34||35-44||45-54||55-64||65-74|
If you have taken a language test within the last 2 years, this can be used for level placement within the program. A placement test ($75) is available for students who do not have an official language test score.
Please note: A program level will not be offered if there are fewer than 3 students registered for the class.
Program Dates and Fees
The program is offered in 10-week sessions.
|Winter||2023||January 5 — March 10|
|Spring||2023||March 22 — June 2|
|Summer||2023||June 14 — August 25|
|Fall||2023||October 4 — December 15|
- Program Application Fee: $125 (non-refundable; payable upon registration)
- Tuition Fee (per 10-week session, all levels): $4030
- Student fee (per 10-week session): $250
- Includes the cost of digital textbooks and online learning platform access.
- Undergraduate Credit Course Tuition Fee (for EAP Bridging level students only): $560
- Placement Test Fee: $75
- A Placement Test is optional for students with a language proficiency score (TOEFL/IELTS) within the last 2 years. The placement test is taken prior to the start of your first term.
How to Apply
To apply for the Virtual-EAP program, go to our website to complete the application. Once you have received your Acadia University Student ID number, you can pay your application fee ($125) online to complete your registration. Application fees can be paid by credit card.
The application deadline for each session is 10 business days before the term begins. Please note, you cannot begin your studies until all fees have been paid, so start early!
How to Pay
Tuition must be paid before the first day of classes. Please visit this page to learn more about how fees can be paid.
|Up to the first day of classes||100% refund of tuition fees|
|Up to 4 days after the start of classes||80% refund of tuition fees|
|More than 5 days after the start of classes||No refunds|
Virtual EAP Students are encouraged to transfer to our on-campus program at any point of their studies. Students who choose to study the Bridging Level on campus will take full-time language studies for 10 weeks plus a 3-hour academic credit course. The credit course can be used as part of an undergraduate degree. Once you complete the Bridging Level, you will be ready to start your degree program at Acadia University!
Select Your Language
English Language Centre
PO Box 120, 26 Crowell Dr, Acadia University
Wolfville, Nova Scotia, B4P 2R6
"EAP for me was the gate for my future's education, it's a great program that I had learned a lot from." - Baleegh, Saudi Arabia