English for Parents/Professional Purposes
Our English for Parents/Professional Purposes (EPP) program will aim to help parents of school-aged children and other professionals build a strong foundation of English skills. As this program is hosted by Acadia University, there is a strong focus on developing academic English skills in the EAP Skills classes. Other classes will take a functional approach which will help develop skills that can be used in everyday life in a Canadian community or professional field.
The EPP program includes:
- EAP Skills Classes. These classes focus on the academic language skills - reading, writing, speaking and listening - through a communicative teaching approach. These classes are offered to EAP and EPP students together who meet the requirements of the level as determined by the placement test.
- Focus Classes. These are 1-hour classes which concentrate study in specific areas including grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, communication skills, and research skills. These classes are usually offered to a grouping of mixed-level students from the EAP and EPP Programs.
- English in Action. This class helps learners develop the skills needed for interacting in social and professional settings. New language is practiced in the context of conversations or real-life situations. These classes are offered to a grouping of mixed-level students within the English for Parents Program.
- The EPP program runs from September to June and from February to January, with 18-20 hours of study per week.
- Monday to Friday, 9:00am - 1:30pm
- No classes during school holidays, in-service days or on storm days following AVRCE schedule
- September 6, 2022 to June 16, 2023
- September 5, 2023 to June 14, 2024
- Start and end dates are flexible
$350 per week, which includes application fee, student fees, textbooks, and materials.
Full, 37-week program: $12,950
Medical insurance and airport transfer are not included.
9:00 - 11:00
|EAP Skills||EAP Skills||EAP Skills||EAP Skills||English in Action or Field Trip (times will vary)|
11:00 - 12:00
|Focus Class: Pronunciation||Focus Class: Vocabulary||Focus Class: Grammar||Focus Class: Research Skills|
12:00 - 12:30
12:30 - 1:45
|English in Action||English in Action||English in Action||English in Action|
Fees must be paid in before the first day of classes. Please visit our Financial Services page to learn more about how fees can be paid.
Students qualify for a refund of pre-paid tuition if they have been denied authorization to study in Canada and provide documentation from the proper Canadian authority stating that their application to study in Canada was denied.
If a student withdraws 10 days before the program begins or after the start of the program, the following refunds will be issued provided that Conditions A or B below are met:
|0-10% of program completed||50% of unused tuition fees|
|11-20% of program completed||30% of unused tuition fees|
|20%+ of program completed||no refund|
Students who withdraw before the withdrawal deadline may receive a refund of their fees, provided that:
- Students have admission to another Canadian Designated Learning Institution;
- A student who does not have admission to another college/university at the time of withdrawal may defer their fees paid until they have received a letter of admission to another college/university (within four months of arrival in Canada).
When a copy of a Letter of Acceptance from another college or university is received and authenticated by Acadia, a refund of fees will be authorized.
Students who withdraw before the deadline may receive a refund of their fees, provided that:
- The student relinquishes their status as an international student in Canada and returns to their home country. In this case the student will be required to provide Acadia with proof of return home (e.g., a copy of a one‐way airline ticket with confirmed travel dates).
Application fees and tuition deposits are non-refundable. Withdrawals must be requested by emailing email@example.com.
English Language Centre
PO Box 120, 26 Crowell Dr, Acadia University
Wolfville, Nova Scotia, B4P 2R6
We are proud to work with Halifax Life, official agent representative for the English for Parents Program at Acadia University.