International Students

What is a Study Permit?

The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.

Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If we approve your study permit, we’ll issue one to you with your study permit.

Do I need a Study Permit?

How much does a Study Permit application cost?

How do I apply for my Study Permit?

What documents would I need to submit my Study Permit Application?

Check IRCC Processing times

Citizens of the US  applying for study permit:  You may apply at the Canada/US border or one of the visa offices. You will need to have all of the proper documents for a study permit application. Find those at this link

Important note

As of January 2024, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is not processing study permit applications. We expect they will begin processing study permits soon. You can still apply to Acadia, and we are still offering Letters of Admission.

Select Your Language

Important Links

 Renewing your Study Permit

 Amending your Study Permit


International Students
Wong International Centre
27 Acadia Street
Wolfville, Nova Scotia, B4P 2R6