We believe you.

Getting Support

You are not alone. We are here to help. We believe you.

The Sexualized Violence Response and Education Coordinator (SVREC) offers confidential, compassionate support and provides information about your options. Every survivor has different needs, concerns, and priorities. How you respond and who you tell are your choices. We will always respect your right to choose what is right for you on your healing journey.

Some people may wish to file a formal complaint under the Sexualized Violence Policy. Others may wish to access informal or restorative options, which can differ depending on the needs of each person. Some survivors may need accommodations, such as residence room changes, academic accommodations, or other supports. When you speak to the SVREC, they will work with you to understand your needs and what is important to you.

If you are a survivor, some of these options and supports are described below. You can also visit our Help and Support page for a list of emotional, medical, and legal supports available to you.

Go to a Safe Place
  • Are you in a place where you feel physically and emotionally safe? A safe place might be the home of a friend, Resident Assistant, parent, co-worker, or any place where you can find physical safety and receive emotional support. It can be difficult, but you might want to talk with this person about what has been done to you. 
  • At Acadia, you can call Safety & Security at 902.585.1103 (or dial 88 from a campus phone) 24/7. We encourage you to contact them if you believe there is an ongoing threat to others on campus or in the community.
  • If you need a drive, you can contact Safety and Security and they will provide you with an escort to ensure you feel safe on campus. Safety & Security operates a free, evening shuttle service around campus and to several nearby locations every weeknight during the school year.
  • Call 911 for police if you are in immediate danger. The police will respond, take a statement from you, and proceed to investigate your complaint. They will also take you to the hospital if you want to go. They will refer you to Victims’ Services for additional support.
Talk to the SVREC

If you would like to talk to someone about an incident, you will speak with our Sexualized Violence Response and Education Coordinator (SVREC). They are here to listen to you and support you without judgment. The SVREC will help guide you through your options, including medical care, counselling, safety planning, and adjustments to your classes or living arrangements.

A disclosure does not automatically start the investigative or non-investigative processes in our policy.

Your meeting with the SVREC

The SVREC will explain their role and give you space to tell your story if you are ready to do so. You do not have to share anything that you are not comfortable sharing. Our priority is making sure that you feel safe and supported. You may have a clear idea of what you want to happen next, and if so, you are welcome to share this with the SVREC. That said, you may have a lot to think about, so we don’t expect you to know right away what you want to do and what is right for you. A first meeting is usually focused on emotional support and exploring options and resources that could help.


When you speak to the SVREC, everything you share will be treated as confidential. This means it will not be shared with anyone unless you give your permission (for example, if you choose to make a formal complaint under the Policy and give consent for your information to be shared with an investigator).

The only limit to this expectation of confidentiality is if there is an imminent risk of severe or life-threatening harm to the survivor or another person. In this case, the SVREC may be required to notify someone who can help but will be careful to only share what information is required to ensure safety.

Bringing a support person

We understand that it can be scary or overwhelming to share your personal experience with someone you may have never met before. You are welcome to bring a friend with you to provide extra support when you meet with the SVREC. If there is anything else that would help you feel more comfortable in your first meeting with the SVREC, you can let them know. We always want to prioritize your emotional safety and needs.

Report an Incident

You always have the option of reporting an incident to the University (an internal report) and/or the police (an external report).  

Internal Reports

You can submit a written report to the Sexualized Violence Response and Education Coordinator. With your consent, the SVREC can help guide and support you while you write this report (section 9.2). No matter what the outcome of this report, you will be supported by the SVREC.

After the report is sent, the SVREC will consult with the Executive Director, Student Services, to determine whether the report should proceed under the Investigative Stream (section 9.5) or Non-Investigative Stream (section 9.6) of the Policy.

External Reports

You may also choose to file an external report (section 9.8). There is no time limit on when you can report an incident of sexualized violence to the police.

If you decide not to file an external report immediately, you may want to write down what you remember about the incident in as much detail as possible. The SVREC can help you with this. You will be able to refer to this information if you decide to make an external report in the future.

Wolfville RCMP

Emergencies: call 911
Phone: 902-542-3817
After Hours: 1-800-803-RCMP (7267)

General services: Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm
363 Main St
Wolfville, NS, B4P 1C4

Human Rights

Individuals may report allegations of sexual harassment, sexual violence, or discrimination based on any enumerated ground pursuant to the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act.

Get Medical Attention
  • Seek emergency medical care as soon as possible after a sexual assault if you are hurt or injured. For emergency medical attention, call 911.
  • Medical care providers can offer advice on reporting the incident, address concerns regarding infection, pregnancy, and safety, and can help you cope with the complex emotional issues surrounding sexual assault.
  • A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Registered Nurse can provide special medical support and services for all genders (13 years of age or older). Additionally, they are able to offer a medical examination and collection of forensic evidence (up to 7 days after the incident) for the purposes of criminal investigation and inquiry, if the person reporting the incident requests this. Call the 24/7 toll free SANE phone line 1-833-577-SANE (7263).
  • A complete medical evaluation includes evidence collection, a physical examination, treatment, and/or counselling.
  • You do not have to do any part of this evaluation that you do not want to do. Medical related evidence collection may occur up to 7 days from the assault. If you decide to have a forensic medical exam, it is helpful if you do not change clothes, bathe, douche, or brush your teeth until evidence is collected.
Explore changes to classes, residence, or work

After the submission of an internal report (section 9.2, Sexualized Violence Policy), the Sexualized Violence Response and Education Coordinator (SVREC) will arrange to meet with you to discuss support and services, including information about accommodations that can be made in your living, learning, and working environments.

Accommodations (section 9.3) may include a student residence re-location, class schedule changes, academic accommodations, temporary work location reassignment, and work scheduling changes. The SVREC can help you confidentially request these services.

Interim measures (section 9.4) are non-disciplinary conditions that may be imposed upon the subject of a report (the Respondent) depending on the allegations in the report to protect your safety or the safety of others in the University Community.

Get Emotional and Legal Support

Visit our Help and Support page for services available for your mental health or to pursue legal action.

Support and Resource guide for Survivors

Read our support and resource guide for survivors (PDF). This guide is designed to help survivors feel grounded and navigate next steps in their healing journey. It is full of information about self-care techniques, affirming messages to survivors by survivors, calming colouring pages, information about reclaiming sexuality after trauma, and other resources.