Government Loan Information

The federal and provincial governments of Canada offer Canadian students educational funding support through:

If you plan to have a student loan, you can also apply for support through our bursaries program.

If you are applying for a government student loan for the Academic Year (September - April), apply early to ensure your funds are available at the beginning of the Fall term. You only have to apply through your provincial government to receive a loan assessment from both the federal and provincial loan programs.

Your provincial student loans office will tell you what to do with your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA). This very important document is a legal agreement between you (as a borrower) and the Canada Student Loans program (as a lender). It outlines your responsibilities and the terms and conditions of accepting and repaying your Canada Student Loans. The MSFAA must be completed the first time you get a Canada Student Loan, and it remains valid as long as you continue to borrow new Canada Student Loan funding. It expires once you have not applied for two consecutive years or move to another province.