Campus Update — March 27, 2020 — Letter to Nova Scotians from the Medical Officer of Health
My fellow Nova Scotians,
COVID-19 is an unprecedented and rapidly evolving situation, and I recognize this is a scary time for Nova Scotians. Public health officials are working closely with our colleagues across the country and our partners in Nova Scotia to limit the spread of the virus and increase capacity within the health system to respond.
During this state of emergency, we must all work together to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Here are important steps we are requiring all Nova Scotians to take:
- Stay home as much as possible. When you are out, practice social distancing by limiting contact with other people (stay 2 metres (6 feet) apart) and have no more than 5 people together
- Shop only for essentials, such as groceries and prescription medication and only have one person doing the shopping
- If you’ve traveled outside the province, self-isolate for 14 days
- If you feel unwell, go to 811.novascotia.ca and use the self-assessment questionnaire to find out if you need to call 811
- Wash your hands often, avoid touching your face and clean surfaces regularly
I understand that this situation may be creating a lot of fear. This is normal. However, it’s important that we respond, not in fear, but with caring, a sense of community and common sense.
No one person is responsible, but we can all be part of the solution. If someone in your community is self-isolating or ill, what they need is your support, compassion and understanding. I encourage you to:
- Check in with those closest to you by phone, text or social media
- Have a video chat with someone in isolation
- Make sure your neighbours have what they need
- Encourage people to get information from reliable sources, like: novascotia.ca/coronavirus
Following public health direction and supporting each other is how we will beat this virus.
For the latest information, advice and resources, visit:
Government of Nova Scotia: novascotia.ca/coronavirus
Government of Canada: canada.ca/coronavirus
For general information on novel coronavirus information, call:
For updates on social media, follow:
Government of Nova Scotia Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nsgov/
Government of Nova Scotia Twitter account: https://twitter.com/nsgov
Department of Health and Wellness Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NovaScotiaHealthAndWellness/
Department of Health and Wellness Twitter account: https://twitter.com/nshealth
We will continue to provide you with the latest information to help you protect yourself, your family and community members. Thank you for your help in preventing the spread of COVID-19 in our province.
Dr. Robert Strang
Chief Medical Officer of Health
Province of Nova Scotia
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for residence-related COVID-19 inquiries, and visit our Student Services page for mental health support and more.
Employees should speak with their direct supervisor.