Message to employees regarding travel insurance
Following the recent Government announcement about non-essential out-of-country travel, Acadia's HR team wanted to confirm that Acadia’s Emergency Medical Travel Coverage does not have any Government advisory exclusion, and therefore, travel insurance is in place for both essential and non-essential travel. However, the cost of a PCR test and quarantine (in a hotel) is not covered under the EMT policy. Should you contract COVID-19 and require medical care, the cost will be covered as per the terms and conditions of your travel policy. We do however recommend that you stay informed and consult the Government advisory website regularly especially as it relates to entry and exit requirements: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
COVID-19: Update – most recent information regarding
Travel Insurance coverage
It is recommend that members comply with the Government of Canada travel advisories, as there is no guarantee to access or quality of medical care abroad.
Although the best protection is to limit travel, SSQ Insurance will continue to support members who must travel despite the current advisories.
Please find the following update regarding the various insurance coverages for members who are currently TRAVELLING:
- Costs for mandatory COVID-19 screening tests, performed at the request of a government authority before returning to Canada, are not covered by travel insurance.
- Additional costs incurred while waiting for COVID-19 test results, performed at the request of a government authority, are not covered (for example, costs for a new plane ticket, change fees for an existing ticket, accommodation or living expenses, etc.)
- If the result of a mandatory COVID-19 screening test is positive, and the insurance policy covers this illness, the following costs are eligible for expenses according to the maximum amount provided for under the contract:
- Medical Costs
- Additional costs incurred for the purchase of a return ticket, or change fees for an existing ticket, according to the following parameters:
- Single ticket – economy class
- Flight operated by a public carrier with a fixed schedule
- Most direct route to the initially planned destination
Accommodation and living expenses as a result of a positive screening test are not covered except as provided for under the Family Accommodation Benefit, which only covers accommodation costs for travelling companions if you are hospitalized and under the care of a Physician for at least 4 consecutive days.